Building A Tiny House With Salvaged Materials
Not everyone wants to build a house with all new materials. Some people want to use a combination of new and used; others want it to be built entirely with recycled material. There is no right way or wrong way.
The decision depends on a number of factors:
- How much money you have.
- How much money you want to spend.
- How much time you have.
- If you want to be environmentally friendly.
When using recycled materials, you have lots to choose from. Anything from traditional to eclectic.
Are you wondering how to build a tiny house using salvaged materials?
One option is to start with your design, find the materials you need, and then make the changes to accommodate what you find.
It’s as simple as visiting:
- A salvage store. You can usually find all kinds of goodies there, from small to large items.
- A dump. Most of the dumps we’ve been to have separate areas for trash and things that can be recycled.
- Trash pickup days. Tour around on trash day. Many times people will put out items that can be reused in your home.
- Online for sale by owner. You can often find what you need by keeping an eye out on places like Craigslist, Freecycle, and Kijiji.
We’ve used material from salvaged stores many times when doing renovations to houses we’ve owned. Our last project (a few years ago), we found enough laminate flooring to completely redo an entire floor in our house. Apparently a contractor had ordered the wrong color for a client and gave the entire shipment to our local salvage store. We just happened to be in the market for that type of flooring.
In all of these locations, we’ve been able to find windows, doors, and even furniture that are in good to great shape.
Doing it this way saves you money. And you can add character to your home.
Keep in mind that with non-traditional building material, sometimes you will need to modify your design to incorporate what you find.
You will also want to make sure that what you plan to use is safe, sturdy and will withstand time.
An added bonus is that you will avoid the issue of excessive chemicals that are present in many materials that are new.
Salvaged materials can be used for building your tiny house whether you want a traditional look or something that is true to your character. There are many more reasons to recycle than to buy new.