What Size Tiny Affordable House?
I am curious to see what size of house most tiny affordable house enthusiasts would like to live in so I thought I would ask you.
The Poll Is Now Closed
The results were evenly spread throughout 200 square feet to 1000 square feet. I’m not really surprised – the results were as varied as the number of people that enjoy the idea of living in a house that is affordable (ie: small). The actual size is not what matters as long as it is small and using less personal and environmental resources. It was interesting to see what people thought was right for them… thank you to everyone that participated.
After a lot of research and time looking at houses that are tiny and small, we’ve decided the size that will suit our needs, and what we want to live comfortably.
Now we are in the process of deciding on the design (exterior and interior) that we would like. This is the more difficult part as there are so many ideas. We think we’ll probably end up with a combination of pre-made design and custom.
For us, we’ve decided that we need a place that is somewhere around 600 square feet. There are a number of reasons for this decision:
- We both have hobbies that take up a little space to do and for storage.
- We have three big dogs that live with us.
- We have two grown boys that come for a visit on occasion.
- We need to have a separate bedroom and it has to be on the main floor (neither of us are able to climb stairs all that well anymore).
- We both like to cook so we want to have a decent size kitchen area with enough counter-space for working and for some of the little appliances that we don’t want to do without.
We spent last winter in a condo that is approximately 650 square feet and it was the perfect size for us.
What Is Your Preference?
As a person with a natural curiosity about many things, this got me thinking about what other people would like in their small house. So there will be a series of polls starting with one on the size of house that you think would be good for you.
We would love to hear from people that are considering buying or building a little house as well as any of you that already live in one.