Small Housing Designs In Canada
Nomad Micro Homes is an up and coming tiny house company that is located in British Columbia, Canada. Their business serves two main purposes – to address the cost of B.C.s high real estate costs and to embrace sustainable living.
Like many places, the cost of housing in B.C. is quite high. This makes it difficult for some people to be able to buy a house. Over the past 20 years or so as the cost of housing increased, there has been an emergence of tiny houses – or micro housing. Just in the past five years, this movement has grown in leaps and bounds.
Why not? It’s a perfect solution for everyone to purchase their very own home, the cost of living is much less than a large house, and it’s certainly easier on our environment because they need less utilities (heating and cooling).
Just think your house costs so little to buy and to maintain that you would be able to buy it outright or pay off your loan within a few short years.
[nimbus_quote attribution=”Nomad Micro Homes”]
“A groundbreaking sustainable tiny house that’s affordable and easily assembled. Living/kitchen/bath/bed are all seamlessly integrated into a 10′ x 10′ space.”[/nimbus_quote]
Own A Home For Less
This company offers two micro home models that are approximately 160 square feet in size. They can be hooked up to an existing water system, sewer system, and electrical system.
- Nomad Space – For $25,000 you could buy the base model. This home doesn’t have a bathroom or any appliances. It is more suited as a guest bedroom, an office, or a studio.
- Nomad Live – At $28,000 it includes kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, hot water, and heating.
- Nomad Zero – is the same as the Live model with the addition of a composting toilet, solar power system, a grey water treatment system and a rainwater collection system for off-the-grid living.
These micro homes don’t have a foundation. Instead of a foundation, they sit of screw piles.
The assembly and setting up your home is easy. They say it can be done by two people within one-week.
And if you need to move, all you have to do is pick up and move your entire home to a new location which is another huge positive with little places.
Making Affordable Homes A Reality
- As a new tiny house company, they are in the process of raising funds to grow their business. For more information on their fundraising opportunities please visit Indiegogo.
- The bylaws of some municipalities are antiquated and need to be updated. For example, in Vancouver the bylaws currently state that a home can’t be smaller than 320 square feet. With all the sustainable housing that is becoming so popular it is time that they revisit these bylaws.
Affordable housing and sustainable living is the way of the future. As the popularity grows so do the designs and the way of living improves.