Can A Family Live In A Tiny House?
I just finished reading a very interesting article that brought about a lot of comments on the subject of whether or not it is good for a family to live in a tiny house (200 square feet or less). The overall consensus seemed to be that it is not always a good idea.
One of the main reasons people choose to live in a house that is tiny is to simplify their life and to live within their means.
The following is a condensed version of some of the comments. They are in no particular order:
- This type of housing is great for a single person or a couple that is in agreement that that is what they both want.
- It could work with a family of three if the child grew up in a tiny home. Meaning, from a baby onward because that is all that her or she would ever really know.
- For a family that is downsizing, all the family members must be on the same page and agree to the move.
- It is important that a family rent a tiny place to live and give it a try for a while before committing to buying and living in a little space (there is a growing number of tiny places for rent). This is to make sure that it will work for all concerned.
- When building or buying a tiny home, you need to think about the future of your family. As your children or family size grows, will the tiny house still be suitable? Do you think everyone will be happy and content there long-term?
- Some small families have lived in a wee house for a little while (as long as all agree) when they have a purpose for doing so. For example, when they have a goal such as saving to buy a larger house.
- Most people agree that a very small dwelling is not ideal for a family any larger than three people, especially when there are teenagers. Most teenagers need their space and their privacy even more than adults.
- An open concept home is not ideal for a family. Each person needs a little privacy on occasion.
- Anyone living in a house that is very small must not be a collector. A minimalized lifestyle is necessary. If you have hobbies or a job that needs lots of stuff, you will probably need another building for the extras.
The consensus seemed to be that 500 square feet or larger is best for a small family. For a family size of more than three, approximately 1000 square feet could work.
But, as with most things, there are exceptions.
When considering a little house like these, everyone should think long and hard before downsizing considerably. Make sure that it is the right decision for everyone involved. Make sure that you choose the right size for you and your family.
These houses are a great way to save money. Everything costs less (from building to living in) with a very small place to live but it needs to be the right decision or you and your family could end up being miserable instead of what you wanted.
Check out the tiny house plans. These are generally houses that are 500 square feet and smaller although there are some house designs that are a little larger.